This is something I tried out a few weeks back. It works wonderfully well;you begin to wonder why people sell cooling pads.
To make the stand, you will need
1. PET Bottles(I used 600 ml ones)*3
2. Tie Wraps: You can buy them cheap from your nearest hardware store
3. A Laptop!
What do I do now?
1. Align the PET bottles next to each other.
2. Make Tie wrap chains by inserting the tail of one to the head of the other. Each loop should have 5 tie wraps.
3. Place one of the loops around the bottle necks, another around the centre.
4. Tighten the loops by pulling. You may want to have someone near you to hold the bottles in the right alignment.
5. Cut off excess Tie Wrap threads.
You are done!
You get a laptop stand, that is cheap, insulating and channels all the heat outwards(due to the shape of the PETs).
This is what it should look like: